<!– Gabriel Wortman: shooter of Nova Scotia –>
Police in the Canadian province of Nova Scotia have killed Gabriel Wortman, the gunman who went on the rampage in Nova Scotia late Saturday, killing more than 10 people, including a policewoman.
Police authorities said on Sunday that the killing was the worst act of mass murder the country has seen in 30 years.
The shooter, 51-year-old Wortman, was initially reported to have been arrested, before his death was confirmed.
He had disguised his car to look like a police cruiser.
Then he went round to shoot shot people in several locations across the Atlantic province, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said
Authorities said they were still trying to establish a final death toll.
“Today is a devastating day for Nova Scotia, and it will remain etched in the minds for many years to come,” Lee Bergerman, commanding officer of the RCMP in Nova Scotia, told reporters.
The massacre looked to be the worst of its kind since a gunman killed 15 women in Montreal in December 1989.
A man driving a van deliberately ran over and killed 10 people in Toronto in April 2018.
Mass shootings are relatively rare in Canada, which has tighter gun control laws than the United States.
Police said they discovered several bodies late on Saturday after being called to a disturbance in the small Atlantic coastal town of Portapique, about 130 km (80 miles) north of the provincial capital, Halifax.
Initial probes showed Wortman had also killed people in several other locations, said Chris Leather, the Nova Scotia RCMP’s criminal operations officer.
“In excess of 10 people have been killed,” he said.
At one point, Wortman was seen wearing a police uniform, Leather said, but he did not specify whether the suspect had been disguised as an officer when the killings occurred.
Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil said it was “one of the most senseless acts of violence in our province’s history.”
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, speaking to reporters in Ottawa, deplored what he called “a terrible situation.”
You may be interested
#BBNaija: Noble Igwe concludes an all-expense paid trip to Cyprus for Ozoadmin - September 21, 2020
EDO 2020 | Disarm Your Thugs, Edo APC Tells Obasekiadmin - September 21, 2020
The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Edo state has called for the withdrawal of arms and ammunitions, which were imported…