The Governor of Ebonyi State, Mr. Dave Umahi has denied threatening journalists following recent reports that went viral online.
In a statement signed by Francis Nwaze, the Special Assistant to the Governor on Media and Publicity, Governor Umahi denied audio and video making the rounds on Social and Print Media news as “purportedly doctored”.
Reports had emerged alleging that the governor banned Chijioke Agwu and Peter Okutu of Daily Sun Newspapers and Vanguard Newspaper respectively for life.
Reacting, the governor called on the general public, the Nigerian Union of Journalists [NUJ] and other stakeholders to discountenance the reports, videos and audio as “a figment of the bearers imagination”.
The statement reads below:
My attention has been drawn to the news and a purportedly doctored audio and video making the rounds on Social and Print Media alleging that the governor banned Chijioke Agwu and Peter Okutu of Daily Sun Newspapers and Vanguard Newspaper respectively for life for publishing false reports and I make bold to state as follows:
1. That there were false reports from Chijioke Agwu of Daily Sun who reported that Lassa fever is killing Ebonyians in Droves on Tuesday, 14th April 2020, and Peter Okutu who reported that the Nigerian Military killed 20 Ebonyians just last weekend on 21st April 2020.
2. That the above two reports all raised alarm and caused panic in the midst of the fight against COVID19. No case of confirmed death caused by Lassa fever has been recorded in recent times in Ebonyi state neither was there any killing by the Nigerian Military last weekend in Ebonyi. The reports were all ill-conceived and have no truth in them.
3. The two journalists were never embarrassed, intimidated, or harassed to the knowledge of the Governor in any government event as alleged and the governor never ordered for such.
4. That the governor, Engr. David Umahi, FNSE, FNATE had on 15th and 22nd April 2020 called on the attention of the state NUJ Chapter, Comr. Tony Nwizi and advised him and his executive members to admonish members of the union in the state to ensure they make their findings correctly and avoid unverified and false reports as it doesn’t help in the progress and building of our country, Nigeria and also capable of causing panic in Ebonyi state.
5. That the governor never ordered a ban on any journalist from attending state functions.
Having made the above clarifications; I, therefore, call on the general public, NUJ and others concerned to discountenance with the false reports, videos and audio as they are either a figment of the bearers imagination which they brought to bear or a deliberate attempt geared towards smearing the hard-earned good reputation and good media relationship of the governor.
DISCLAIMER : Opinion articles are solely the responsibility of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of the publishers of ElombahNews!
Would you like to be receiving ALL Elombah.com links ‘On The Go’ on WhatsApp Or Telegram? If yes, kindly join us here on WhatsApp or Telegram, or provide us your Telephone number via email@example.com or sms/inbox +2349050382526 and you are good to go!
DOWNLOAD The ElombahNews (Elombah.com) Mobile App Here
Send eyewitness accounts/ reports/ articles to firstname.lastname@example.org; follow us on twitter @ElombahNews; like our Facebook page: ElombahNews
For adverts & inquiries, call +447460770987, +2349050382526
You may be interested
Bayelsa women demand N20bn from FG, NDDC over dead fishes in Atlantic Oceanadmin - September 18, 2020
Women are drawn from over 40 crude oil-producing communities in Southern Ijaw, Ekeremor and Brass Local Government Areas of Bayelsa…
Ondo Guber: Akeredolu’s aide resigns appointmentadmin - September 18, 2020
<!-- Ondo Guber: Akeredolu’s aide resigns appointment - ElombahNews HomePoliticsOndo Guber: Akeredolu’s aide resigns appointment
“If you’re insulting your parents because of Ferrari, then they deserve it” – Seun Kuti saysadmin - September 18, 2020
Singer and son of late King of Afro beat, Fela Kuti, Seun Kuti has come for people insulting their parents…