Three South East Governors have been issued a 21- day ultimatum to start a probe of multi million dollar contracts awarded to firms belonging to Anambra born businessman, Prince Authur Eze.
The governors include, Anambra State Governor, Chief Willie Obiano, Ebonyi State Governor, Dave Umahi and Sen Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State.
Two of the major contracts financed by the Cote d’Ivoire based African Development Bank (AFDB) running in dollar bills were awarded in 1991 for rural water supply in old Anambra State.
A statement released in Enugu and jointly signed by Joseph Onwe, Ikem Onwudiwe and Chief Chukwuemeka Nwodo, President, Deputy and secretary respectively and top officials of the South East Development Initiative indicated that three states had been paying loans and accruing interests through direct deductions from their federation accounts without the concerned benefiting fro.m the proposed infrastructure.
The statement partly read, “The two contracts wete awarded to Kings Engineering Company and Triax Engineering both located in New Haven, Enugu and owned by Prince Authur Eze.
“Not less than 80 percent of the contract sums were paid for in U.S dollars and the remaining 20percent in Nigeria currency.
“There was also a third contract financed by the same AFDB which the old Anambra State government awarded: this is the building of an Industrial Development Center (IDC) to be situated in Awka, today’s capital of the new Anambra State”.
According to the statement, the AFDB financed contracts were for rural water in many communities I’m old Anambra State.
It added that the markup in contracts by international firms like Shell and Exon Mobil was usually ten percent, but the profit margin for each of the contracts was twenty percent.
“This was really huge, all the more so since payment was guaranteed it is therefore shocking to realise that the contracts running into millions of dollars were not executed.
“You owe the people of Ebonyi, Enugu, and Anambra stated the duty to explain to them what became of the contract.
“Afterall, huge amounts are subtracted monthly from your state’s entitlements from the federation allocation accpunt to pay for the loans plus interest.
“And the deuctios will go on for twenty and half years. There was an initial moratorium of five years on the loans.
“It is remarkable enough that your stated have been paying for the loans and onteres rates straight from the monthly allocations from the federation account without knowing why.
“You may not even know that the terrible execution of the AFDB contracts led to the inglorious exit of Bubakar Ndiaye, a Senegalese National from the AFDB as its chief executive.
“The AFDB stakeholders were scandalized that instead of ensuring the proper execution of the huge contracts, the AFDB Managing Director flew from the bank’s headquaters in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire, to Enugu on Authur Eze’s 727Boeing aircraft.
“Worse, the AFDB went to Eze’s residence in Enugu and began to praise him without seeing the jobs being done.
“Your Excellencies, the unconscionable abuse of the AFDB loans to old Anambra State running into millions of dollars is too grave a matter to be swept under the carpet.
“Consequently, we demand that you investigate this economic rape of our people, their children’s children since 1991”, the statement stated.
While saying that two weeks should be enough to start action regarding the issue, it added that at the expiration of twenty days, it will be compelled to take the matter to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) as well as President Muhammadu Buhari for prompt action.
DISCLAIMER : Opinion articles are solely the responsibility of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of the publishers of ElombahNews!
Would you like to be receiving ALL Elombah.com links ‘On The Go’ on WhatsApp Or Telegram? If yes, join us here on WhatsApp or Telegram, or provide us your Telephone number via firstname.lastname@example.org or sms/inbox +2349050382526 and you are good to go!
DOWNLOAD The ElombahNews (Elombah.com) Mobile App Here
Send eyewitness accounts/ reports/ articles to email@example.com; follow us on twitter @ElombahNews; like our Facebook page: ElombahNews
For adverts & inquiries, call +447460770987, +2349050382526
You may be interested
#BBNaija : Neo emerges the third runner-upadmin - September 27, 2020
#BBNaija : Vee emerges the fourth runner-upadmin - September 27, 2020
Show-host, Ebuka announced her name as the first of the finalists to leave the house. In her final diary session,…
Gov. Tambuwal denies killing of man by his securityadmin - September 27, 2020
Governor Aminu Tambuwal of Sokoto State has denied claims that a policeman attached to his convoy shot dead one Abdulrahman…