Nzuko Umunna, an Igbo social cultural think tank has condemned vehemently the killing of unarmed Igbo youths at Emene in Enugu State. The organization described the actions of the security agents as ‘unacceptable and must stop’.
Nzuko Umunna also commended Enugu State Governor, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi for his prompt visit to the scene of the extra-judicial killings. The organisation appealed to the Governor to set up a Judicial Panel of Inquiry to unravel the immediate and remote causes of these wanton killings including the exact number of victims, with a view to bring the perpetrators to justice.
The full text of the statement reads;
1. Nzuko Umunna views with shock and deep concern the extra-judicial killings that occurred on Sunday, August 23, 2020 at Emene, Enugu State involving Igbo youths and operatives of the Nigerian Police, Department of State Service (DSS) and Nigerian Army.
2. We commiserate with all the families that lost their loved ones in the latest bloodletting.
3. Nzuko Umunna notes that there are widespread reports that these extra-judicial killings took place when security operatives invaded a peaceful meeting of the youths, while the Enugu State Commissioner of Police Ahmed Abdurahman conceded that many of the youths “escaped with bullet wound and police have started tracing them.”
4. We note with grave concern the constant killing of unarmed Igbo youths by security operatives. This is unacceptable and must stop. However, we urge Igbo youths to refrain from retaliatory attacks.
5. It is noteworthy that extra-judicial killings are a violation of the right to life as enshrined in Section 33 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999; Article 4 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights (ACHPR), and Article 6 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR).
6. Nzuko Umunna commends Enugu State Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi for his prompt visit to the scene of the extra-judicial killings. In particular, we urge the Governor to set up a Judicial Panel of Inquiry to unravel the immediate and remote causes of these wanton killings including the exact number of victims, with a view to bring the perpetrators to justice.
7. Nzuko Umunna requests the Chief Judge of Enugu State, Honourable Justice Priscilla Emehelu to urgently convene a coroner’s inquest on these extra-judicial killings.
8. In finding a sustainable framework towards resolving the longstanding security challenges and extra-judicial killings in the region, we urge the South East Governors Forum (SEGF) and the South East Joint Security Committee to urgently activate the long-awaited regional security network to reassure citizens on the security of lives and property.
DISCLAIMER : Opinion articles are solely the responsibility of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of the publishers of ElombahNews!
Would you like to be receiving ALL Elombah.com links ‘On The Go’ on WhatsApp Or Telegram? If yes, join us here on WhatsApp or Telegram, or provide us your Telephone number via firstname.lastname@example.org or sms/inbox +2349050382526 and you are good to go!
For adverts & inquiries, call +447460770987, +2349050382526
You may be interested
Does an active sex life end at menopause?admin - December 3, 2020
For many women, menopause is a desired relief from menstruation; it eliminates the risk of pregnancy. For others, still desirous…
Lemon Grassadmin - December 3, 2020
Lemon grass, lemon grassHow I love you!Whenever I am sick and downMother gives me lemon grassLemon grass, lemon grassHow I…