The British Prime Minister’s office has dismissed as “utter nonsense” claims that Boris Johnson is set to quit within six months due to continued ill-health from Covid-19.
Downing Street sources ridiculed a report by The Times diary column that quoted Dominic Cummings’ father-in-law as suggesting that the prime minister was ready to step down because of the lingering effects of contracting the virus earlier this year.
The paper cited journalist Anna Silverman, who had last week visited Chillingham Castle in Northumberland, which is home to Sir Humphry Wakefield, father of Cummings’ wife Mary.
Sir Humphry is said to have “merrily informed her that Boris Johnson is still struggling badly with having had Covid-19 (as if being a new father and needing to babysit Gavin Williamson isn’t tiring enough) and will stand down in six months”.
“A keen rider, Wakefield compared having the virus to being gone in the fetlock. ‘If you put a horse back to work when it’s injured it will never recover.’”
But a No.10 source told HuffPost UK that the claim about Johnson preparing to quit was “utter nonsense”.
Johnson was admitted to the intensive care unit at St Thomas’ Hospital in London in April, when his condition worsened 11 days after he showed coronavirus symptoms and tested positive for the virus.
He was moved back onto a general ward after three days in intensive care, later praising the nursing staff who watched him round the clock.
During the PM’s hospitalisation, first secretary of state Dominic Raab took over his main duties and ran the government.
In a video following his discharge from hospital, Johnson thanked health service staff for saving his life.
He said he did not have the words to properly thank the staff at NHS for “saving my life”. He lauded two nurses Johnson said stood by his bedside for 48 hours “when things could have gone either way.”
Cummings, Johnson’s chief adviser, was accused of breaching the government’s lockdown rules earlier this year after he and wife Mary drove from London to Durham despite curbs on travel.
DISCLAIMER : Opinion articles are solely the responsibility of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of the publishers of ElombahNews!
Would you like to be receiving ALL Elombah.com links ‘On The Go’ on WhatsApp Or Telegram? If yes, join us here on WhatsApp or Telegram, or provide us your Telephone number via firstname.lastname@example.org or sms/inbox +2349050382526 and you are good to go!
DOWNLOAD The ElombahNews (Elombah.com) Mobile App Here
Send eyewitness accounts/ reports/ articles to email@example.com; follow us on twitter @ElombahNews; like our Facebook page: ElombahNews
For adverts & inquiries, call +447460770987, +2349050382526
You may be interested
Alleged terrorism in Oke-Ogun, the time when ‘being on top of the situation’, inaction and silence no longer tenableadmin - September 24, 2020
<!-- Alleged terrorism in Oke-Ogun, the time when ‘being on top of the situation', inaction and silence no longer tenable…
How Victor Oye lost out APGA chairman at Appeal Courtadmin - September 24, 2020
<!-- How Victor Oye lost out APGA chairman at Appeal Court - ElombahNews HomeAnalysisHow Victor Oye lost out APGA chairman…
ECOWAS Envoy Returns To Bamako To Continue Consultation With Stakeholdersadmin - September 24, 2020
<!-- ECOWAS Envoy Returns To Bamako To Continue Consultation With Stakeholders - ElombahNews HomeWorld NewsECOWAS Envoy Returns To Bamako To…