The family of former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Rilwan Lukman has accused the Attorney General of Federation (AGF), Abubakar Malami of lying against their late father on award of P&ID contract.
The federal government told the UK High Court headed by Sir Ross Cranston, that Lukman and several government officials knew the agreement was a sham and stood to make financial gains.
But, the Family of late Minister of Petroleum Resources in a letter dated August 31, signed by Ramatu Lukman on behalf of the Family demanded an apology from the Attorney General of Federation.
In January 2010, Nigeria allegedly signed the gas processing project, but two years later the company began an arbitration process, alleging breach of contract.
In July 2015, a London tribunal gave judgment in favour of the company and in January 2017, gave the final award of $9.6 billion, with an interest rate of seven per cent, pre and post-judgment.
However, the Family in the letter to the Office of AGF stated thus:
Mr Abubakar Malami
The Hon Attorney General & Minister of Justice, Federal Ministry of Justice
Shehu Shagari Way, Abuja
31st August 2020
You owe us an Apology, and we need it
- The family of late Dr Rilwanu Lukman has noted with contempt your witness statements filed in the Commercial Court of England in proceedings between Process and Industrial Developments Limited (P&ID) and the Federal Republic of Nigeria falsely alleging that Dr Rilwanu Lukman (Deceased) abused his powers as the then Minister of Petroleum Resources under the Late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua in awarding the Gas Supply Processing Agreement (GSPA) to P&ID for personal gain.
- It distresses the family that such false accusations of reprehensible criminal conduct was levied against Dr Lukman by you, and we can’t be quiet anymore about this issue. It is despicable that you have engaged in your witness statements to call into question our father’s integrity, years after his passing, on what appears to be only an III-founded and opportunistic suspicion. You preyed on the fact that our father cannot defend himself, to create some defence to claims brought by Process and Industrial Developments (P&ID) against the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- To set the record straight, we wish to state that our father had accepted re-appointment as Minister of Petroleum Resources for selfless reasons, when his health was very poor and against the wishes of his family. He did not need to line his pockets, being a lucky man after a lifetime of professional success. Having regard to his principles and standing locally and internationally, we are certain our father would never take or instigate any bribe, or exercise any discretion given to him in the GSPA, for his benefit.
- We, thus, state in the strongest terms that the claims made against our father by you are false, disreputable, speculative, and an example of unprofessional and destructive conduct aimed at damaging the memory and public reputation of a diligent public servant, with an unblemished international reputation as a two termed OPEC Secretary-General, who spent some of his final years, whilst battling cancer, serving the Nigerian people as the Minister of Petroleum Resources.
- While we remain dedicated to transparency in public office, the public has a right to know that our father-Dr Rilwanu Lukman was an honest, principled man who tried to do his best for the Nigerian people and certain that he was not involved in any corrupt dealings. It is unfortunate when public officers’ resort to personal and unfounded attacks on people whom they know for reasons of death cannot defend themselves against such distortions and misinformation.
- Please convey a second to think about what you’ve done to the Rilwanu Lukman’s family, you owe us an apology. If this is something you think you are not up to, then I am sorry to remind you of the divine curse and the anger of Allah (S.w.T.) against liars mentioned in SURAH AZZUMAR 39:3: “Surely Allah will judge between them in that wherein they differ. But Allah guide not such as are false and ungrateful.”
For: The Family
DISCLAIMER : Opinion articles are solely the responsibility of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of the publishers of ElombahNews!
Would you like to be receiving ALL Elombah.com links ‘On The Go’ on WhatsApp Or Telegram? If yes, join us here on WhatsApp or Telegram, or provide us your Telephone number via firstname.lastname@example.org or sms/inbox +2349050382526 and you are good to go!
For adverts & inquiries, call +447460770987, +2349050382526
You may be interested
My dressing room is not happy – Mourinho reacts to Tottenham’s draw with Chelseaadmin - November 29, 2020
Tottenham Hotspur manager, Jose Mourinho, has claimed his players were not happy in the dressing room, following their 0-0 draw…
Planned resuscitation of Ajaokuta suffers setback as World Bank stops salaries of staffersadmin - November 29, 2020
The multi-million dollars Ajaokuta Iron and Steel Project, which has been under construction for close to 40 years, may end…