The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) has warned the Commissioner of Police, Lagos, CP Hakeem Olusegun Odumosun, to avoid foul play in the case involving an alleged shooting of a lady, Joy Ndubueze by Sergeant Eze Aiwansoba in the state.
RULAAC Executive Director, Mr. Okechukwu Nwanguma called on CP Odumosun to order an impartial and honest investigation into the incidence with a view to ensuring justice
Mr. Nwanguma urged the CP to ensure that there is no twist or cover up on this case in a letter addressed to the Commissioner of Police and made available to ElombahNews.
“The truth must be unraveled and appropriate disciplinary and remedial actions taken, in the interest of justice,” he stated.
Read a copy of the statement below:
RULAAC calls on the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Police Command, CP Hakeem Olusegun Odumosun, to order an impartial and honest investigation into the alleged shooting of Joy Ndubueze by Sergeant Eze Aiwansoba attached to the Special Protection Unit (SPU) Base 16, Ikeja, Lagos with a view to ensuring justice
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) is a non-profit and independent national human rights advocacy organization based in Lagos and committed to promoting law enforcement accountability, transparent and responsible policing and respect for human right and rule of law.
RULAAC writes to bring to the attention of the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Police Command, Mr. Hakeem Odumosun and to call on him to order an impartial and honest investigation into the alleged unlawful shooting of Joy Ndubuisi by her boyfriend, Sergeant Eze Aiwansobam attached to the Special Protection Unit (SPU), Base 16, beside Area ‘F’ Ikeja, Lagos on the 8th of October, 2020 at the Salvation area of Opebi Lagos.
Helen Uche Ndubuisi, the victim’s sister, informed RULAC that:
- Her sister Joy Ndubuisi was shot by Seargent Eze Aiwansobam over ‘a little misunderstanding’ they had on October 5 arising from a squabble over which television channel to watch. She said Sergeant Eze decided to call off his relationship with Joy following this misunderstanding.
- However, on October 8, Sergeant Eze invited Joy again and took her to a drinking bar where they had drinks together before Joy told him she was leaving. As Joy was walking home, Sergeant Eze followed her behind and suddenly she heard the sound of the corking of a gun and by the time she looked back, Sergeant Eze shot her on the mouth and took off.
- Sergeant Eze was pursued by passersby who witnessed the shooting and he scaled through a fence leading into an Estate and jumped on top of a waiting motorbike and escaped. The witnesses then came back and took the seriously injured and bleeding Joy to the General Hospital, Ikeja, where she is currently receiving treatment.
- By Helen Uche Ndubuisi’s own account, ‘my sister Joy Ndubuisi was shot by Sergeant Eze Aiwansobam over a little misunderstanding on how to change the channel on television what to watch and what not to watch and because of that the boyfriend called off the relationship. He said he is no more interested, that was on the 5th of October.
He then invited her on October 8th and said that he has been looking for her and also that he wants to see her. They went to a bar and had a drink together, after the drink she told him she’s about leaving and he followed her. This was after 7pm, and the bar is close to a canal. Joy was walking in front and the boyfriend at the back. The next thing she heard was the cock of his gun and when she looked back the man shot her and ran away, there was some men who tried to run after him but could not get him and they decided to come back to Joy to save her instead of running after him’.
- The incident was reported at the Area ‘F’, Police Station, Ikeja. The IPO, Inspr Patience visited the victim’s residence on the first day and the next and nothing more happened until 20 days later- on October 20 when Helen received information from someone she described as the ‘boss to Sergeant Eze’ that Eze has been arrested and is currently detained at Area ‘F’, Ikeja.
- Since October 10, a man who claimed to be ‘Pastor to Sergeant Eze’ has been calling her on her sister’s phone number asking her to meet him somewhere and collect the sum of one hundred thousand Naira but she asked the ‘Pastor’ to pay the money into an account she would provide but he insisted on her coming to meet him to collect cash.
- The IPO also called her later and asked her to come and collect the sum of one hundred thousand Naira from the said ‘Pastor’, and she still insisted that the money be paid into her account, which is yet to be done as at the time of writing this petition. The family suspects foul play.
- There is an attempt by Sergeant Eze to change the story and justify his unlawful action by claiming that Joy was dragging his gun with him when the bullet accidentally went off.
But she said they have eyewitnesses who are willing to testify that Sergeant Eze aimed at Joy, shot her and ran away scaling a fence when a crowd pursued him until he jumped on a waiting motorbike and escaped. ‘An insider called me yesterday that she want to let me know the plan the guy and his family have that if they ask him he should tell them that my sister was dragging the gun with him; that he mistakenly shot her…’
RULAAC calls on the CP Lagos to ensure that there is no twist or cover up on this case. The truth must be unraveled and appropriate disciplinary and remedial actions taken, in the interest of justice.
DISCLAIMER : Opinion articles are solely the responsibility of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of the publishers of ElombahNews!
Would you like to be receiving ALL Elombah.com links ‘On The Go’ on WhatsApp Or Telegram? If yes, join us here on WhatsApp or Telegram, or provide us your Telephone number via firstname.lastname@example.org or sms/inbox +2349050382526 and you are good to go!
For adverts & inquiries, call +447460770987, +2349050382526
You may be interested
Sultan And Northern Bloody Badge Of Insecurityadmin - November 28, 2020
By Simon Reef Musa | The Global Terrorism Index (GTI) ranks Nigeria as the third most terrorised country in the…
Gowon And The Firestorm Over Adesina’s Tweetadmin - November 28, 2020
By Victor Oladokun | A firestorm storm seems to be brewing over the AfDB President’s tweet in defense of former…
#EndSARS: Police Arrest 3 For Selling Heads Of Slain Copsadmin - November 28, 2020
BY ADEBAYO WAHEED | Men of the Oyo State Police Command said yesterday that they had arrested some suspects selling…