Four reported killed as explosion rocks Ex-Governor Gbenga Daniel’s hotel
Posted by News Express | 19 May 2021 | 508 times
At least four persons were killed while three others sustained injuries in a gas explosion at Conference Hotel in Abeokuta, Ogun State, on Tuesday.
The hotel located near the State Secretariat at Oke Mosan, Abeokuta, is owned by former Governor Gbenga Daniel.
It was gathered that the incident occurred during a routine maintenance of the Automatic revolving Door at the entrance of the hotel reception. The oxyacetylene gas being used to weld the door triggered the explosion.
Witnesses told our correspondent that the technician, his assistant and two workers of the hotel died during the incident. According to an eyewitness, the victims’ bodies were badly affected by the impact of the explosion.
However, the hotel management confirmed two dead and three injured. In a statement, the Hotel Facility Manager, Engr. Tunde Osinubi, described the incident as regrettable.
It reads: “A routine maintenance of the Automatic revolving Door at the entrance of Hotel Reception which involved the use of oxyacetylene gas to weld the door hinges was being carried out. The Oxyacetylene gas cylinder suddenly exploded, killing the technician and one other person yet to be identified.
“Three other people were injured and were immediately taken to the hospital. They are responding to treatment. So far no sabotage is suspected. It is however suspected that the gas cylinder purchased at the open market may be fake and unable to withstand gas pressure.
“The incidences of gas explosions as a result of fake cylinders being sold have become worrisome and of great concern as similar incidents have been reported in several locations in Abeokuta recently with casualties. The management of the hotel sympathizes with the families and friends of the deceased and wishes to warn the general public of the presence of fake gas cylinders in the market. This incident is however greatly regretted,” the statement said.
Reports state that this is the third explosion recorded in the city in the last one week. The two occurrences of gas explosion claimed the lives of an infant and four others.
Last Wednesday, three persons, including an infant were burnt to death in a gas explosion that occurred in Oke-Egunyan, along NTA Road in Abeokuta.
The incident happened when a technician was topping up the gas of faulty refrigerator.
Barely 24 hours after the incident, another gas explosion occurred on Mercy Road, Panseke, Abeokuta, where a technician, Sanya Shonde was injured, which later led to the amputation of his leg.
Courtesy (excluding headline) Daily Trust
Source: News Express
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.
You may also like…
You may be interested
Driver, two policemen feared dead as hoodlums kidnap expatriate in Edoadmin - June 17, 2021
Driver, two policemen feared dead as hoodlums kidnap expatriate in Edo Posted by News Express | 17 June 2021 |…
Teenager arrested during #EndSARS protest gives birth in prisonadmin - June 17, 2021
Teenager arrested during #EndSARS protest gives birth in prison Posted by News Express | 17 June 2021 | 51 times…
We have killed scores of IPOB/ESN members in the past 14 days ― Militaryadmin - June 17, 2021
We have killed scores of IPOB/ESN members in the past 14 days ― Military Posted by News Express | 17…