Cholera outbreak: Death toll rises to 42 in Bauchi as 2,874 others remain hospitalized

June 18, 2021
6 Views

The death toll from the recent cholera outbreak in Bauchi State has risen to 42, even as 2,874 persons are currently hospitalized.

The state government had on 25th May 2021 announced the outbreak of cholera in the state.

A 37-year-old housewife was diagnosed as the index case as recorded at the Bara General Hospital.

The immediate past Commissioner for Health, Dr Aliyu Maigoro, at the time, informed that 20 persons had died of the disease, which broke in April, this year.

The former commissioner, who was sacked last week by the state governor, had informed that over 300 persons were admitted in different hospitals across the state then.

Cholera death toll hits 37 in Bauchi

In a cholera data report released on 12th June 2021 by the Bauchi State Primary Healthcare Development Agency (BSPHDA), the toll rose to 37 with an additional 17 death recorded in the state.

The report indicated that the disease has spread to six more local government areas in the state, making a total of 15 LGAs affected out of the 20 LGAs in the state.

The Executive Chairman, BSPHDA, Dr Rilwanu Mohammed, on Friday confirmed an additional five deaths from cholera disease in the state.

Dr Mohammed said a total of 2,874 persons were confirmed to be hospitalized in cholera treatment centers set up by the state government across the state.

The chairman said Bauchi LGA recorded the highest number of cases with 2,185 cases with 22 deaths, followed by Toro LGA with 212 cases and eight deaths.

Mohammed added that Ningi LGA has 92 with two deaths; Dass has 100 with three deaths, while Misau LGA and Tafawa Balewa LGA recorded 57 cases with four deaths and 102 and four deaths, respectively.

You may be interested

Osemwengie-Ero blasts Italian government, vows to lead protest over illegal detention of 300 Nigerians
News
News

Osemwengie-Ero blasts Italian government, vows to lead protest over illegal detention of 300 Nigerians

admin - July 26, 2021

Former Edo State Commissioner for Arts, Culture, Tourism and Diaspora Affairs, Osaze Osemwengie-Ero, has disclosed plans to lead a protest…

News

Police nab 4 suspects for armed robbery, culpable homicide in Yobe

admin - July 26, 2021

Four suspects have been arrested by the Police in Damaturu, the Yobe state capital for their alleged involvement in armed…

FAKE NEWS ALERT! I didn’t claim I’ll “dislodge” other Imo politicians —Ohakim
News
News

FAKE NEWS ALERT! I didn’t claim I’ll “dislodge” other Imo politicians —Ohakim

admin - July 26, 2021

<!-- FAKE NEWS ALERT! I didn’t claim I’ll “dislodge” other Imo politicians —Ohakim – ElombahNews HomePress StatementsFAKE NEWS ALERT! I…

Leave a Comment