Nine killed after Duterte’s order to ‘finish off’ communists

March 8, 2021
18 Views

Click here!

Nine killed after Duterte’s order to ‘finish off’ communists

Posted by News Express | 8 March 2021 | 99 times

Gmail icon


•Philippines President Duterte

At least nine activists have been killed following simultaneous police raids in the northern Philippines that came just two days after President Rodrigo Duterte ordered government forces  to “kill” and “finish off” all communist rebels in the country.

According to the police, six people were also arrested during the raids in three provinces surrounding Metro Manila on Sunday, while at least six others “escaped”.

Police also said they had arrest warrants against 18 individuals, adding that some resisted arrest, resulting in their deaths.

Rights groups Karapatan and the Kabataan (Youth) Party contested the government’s claim, saying the slain individuals had been “executed”.

Emmanuel “Manny” Asuncion, a labour leader in the province of Cavite, just outside Manila, was among those killed, fishermen’s federation Pamalakaya said in a statement.

UPLB Perspective, a student publication at the University of the Philippines, reported that two labour organisers, a husband and wife, were killed in Batangas province, which borders the Philippine capital.

Chai and Ariel Evangelista, along with their 10-year-old son, had gone missing just hours before their death. The whereabouts of their son remains unknown.

Karapatan said the family was “taken into custody” during a pre-dawn raid but did not specify who detained them.

In Rizal province, Karapatan also confirmed the death of two activists following a shooting incident.

While it was the police that carried out the raids on Sunday, Karapatan Secretary-General Cristina Palabay said the military is “obediently heeding the president’s kill, kill, kill orders”.

Human Rights Watch (HRW) also raised concerns about the deadly raids, saying that, based on reports, the operation appears to be a “coordinated plan” by authorities.

“These incidents are clearly part of the government’s increasingly brutal counterinsurgency campaign aimed at eliminating” the communist rebellion, Phil Robertson, HRW deputy Asia director, said in a statement.

On Friday, President Duterte launched a “counterinsurgency” operation on communist rebels in Mindanao.

His threat against the communists osparked fears of a new wave of bloodshed similar to his “war on drugs” which killed thousands of people, including children.

Rights groups have warned that the threat no longer makes any distinction between armed rebels, rights defenders, and critics of the Duterte administration.

“I’ve told the military and the police that if they find themselves in an armed encounter with the communist rebels, kill them, make sure you really kill them and finish them off if they are alive,” Duterte said.

“Just make sure to return their bodies to their respective families. Forget about human rights. That’s my order. I’m willing to go to jail, that’s not a problem. I do not have any qualms about doing the things that I have to do.”

Source: News Express


Readers Comments

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like…

You may be interested

News
1 views

Land dispute: Stop provoking us! Abia community warns Imo neighbours 

admin - April 22, 2021

Land dispute: Stop provoking us! Abia community warns Imo neighbours  Posted by News Express | 21 April 2021 | 117…

Pantami attends FEC meeting, FG keeps mum on calls for his removal 
News
2 views
News
2 views

Pantami attends FEC meeting, FG keeps mum on calls for his removal 

admin - April 22, 2021

Pantami attends FEC meeting, FG keeps mum on calls for his removal  Posted by News Express | 21 April 2021…

Senate investigates alleged killing of Nigerians in Togo 
News
2 views
News
2 views

Senate investigates alleged killing of Nigerians in Togo 

admin - April 22, 2021

Senate investigates alleged killing of Nigerians in Togo  Posted by News Express | 21 April 2021 | 160 times •Senate…

Leave a Comment